- A reminder
that my friend Ryan’s book drops in just a few days
- The first of two great Seth Godin posts: who you hang out with determines what you dream about
- And: Get over yourself
- Scot McKnight shares an interesting AP article examining whether or not racism has changed in our country.
- Finally, a post I wish I had written: An apology to Brian Sabean
My favorite quote from the Giants’ World Series run:
“If your going to get all the way to the World Series, you might as well win it.”
– Jeremy Affeldt
In honor of the World Series, which begins tonight, some thoughts from the enigmatic Barry Zito:
Zito said something very interesting about confidence after the Giants won the pennant that helps explain what is going on here. Zito talked about how when you are young you get by with “unconscious confidence” — you have succeeded so often with the sharp skills of youth that you don’t even think about not succeeding. “When you’re going good, you don’t even know why,” he said. But when failure comes, it arrives with its companion: doubt.
“You go through a phase, and if you can get through it,” Zito said, “you come out it in a different place, where now the confidence is something that’s conscious, that’s earned. It’s the confidence to know why you’re good.”
gamer baby #postseason
- Great article Amy wrote right before going into labor!
- The pastorate is a calling, not a job. Great reflections by Guy Chmieleski.
- Stephen Lutz on the importance of strategy (doing the right things vs. trying harder)
- Fascinating article on the world young women are growing up in
- The Giants magic number is 5!